DunkaroosUpdated Monday September 17, 2018 by Saskatoon Minor Basketball.
DUNKAROOS IS NOW FULL. iF YOU WISH TO GO ON A CANCELLATION LIST PLEASE EMAIL YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION TO RANDI.MAC@SHAW.CA.
REGISTRATION OPENS AUGUST 10TH, 2018!! REGISTER EARLY AS THE SLOTS FILL UP FAST! (the link for regsitration is found on the League Home page under our SMBA logo)
The deadline for Registration is September 24th. We usually fill up early and shut down the site a week or two a head of this so please do not wait or you will be placed on a waiting list.
This program will run from October 13th, 2018 to December 15th and from January 12th 2019 to February 9th, 2019.
*For anyone not paying online*
If you have registered online and decided to pay by cheque or cash, please mail or drop off payments to 142 Gillies Lane Saskatoon, Sk. S7V 0J8. All cheques should be made out to SMBA. All payments made offline should be mailed or dropped off as soon as the registration has been done. This will help avoid those pesky emails saying you owe money. Thanks for helping us make things run smoothly.
Dunkaroo Gym Times
All groups will be at Brunskill School Here
Depending on the number of participants, the early times will be used before the later times.
Dunkaroo's Game Modifications
The Dunkeroos Basketball Program is for Grade 1 and 2 in the Fall/Winter season and will use the following game modifications.
1. Games are played as two 14 minute running times halves with a two-minute halftime. The first 25 minutes of each meeting will be spent in learning games and drills, some with their own team of six players and some that involve all 24 players in the gym
2. The basket height will be 7 to 8 feet from the ground and a size 5 ball will be used for all games.
3. There will be no scores or standings kept at this age level.
4. Games will be 3 on 3 at one basket
5. The coaches will act as referees for all games. Coaches should emphasize 'teaching' over just refereeing. Coaches should also focus on their team more than the other, but can make calls and teach BOTH sides where needed. Traveling and double dribble violations are called by the coach who then reminds the player about the violation. The violating player gets the ball back to try again.
6. There will be 3 free shooting spots on the floor. Players can shoot from the mats on the floor or they could shoot from anywhere but if they happened to have the ball on the shooting mat they would get an undefended shot There is no defense to be played at all when an offensive player has the ball on one of the shooting mats. The play will stop and the shooter will be given a free uncontested shot at the basket. Defensive players should focus on getting the rebound if the shot is missed.
7. Fouls can be called by either coach for excessive body contact. Use this as a teaching opportunity to show the player who committed the 'foul' on how to properly play defense. There will be no 'free throws' taken in the game. All fouls will see the ball returned to the offense for an in bounds pass from the side or end line (nearest point to where the 'foul' occurred).
8. Violations such as traveling and double dribble should be called after a few warnings to the player. Again, use this as a teaching opportunity to show how to properly advance the ball within the rules of the game! Traveling and double dribble violations are called by the coach who then reminds the player about the violation. The violating player gets the ball back to try again.
9. Teams must alternate the 'ball carrier' throughout the game to ensure every child has a chance to play the 'point guard' position. A player who brings the ball down the floor must make one pass before a scoring attempt is made.
10. A player cannot take more five dribbles after the first pass before making an attempt to score. The goal is to see ALL players touch the ball as much as possible in each possession.
11. A player has the option to pass the ball to their own coach on the floor if they have difficulty passing the ball to a teammate.
12. If the ball is 'tied up' between two opposing players, the possession will go to the defense
|SMBA 2018 2019 Calendar.xlsx|